Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Stage 19 Yamachiche, QC to Quebec, QC

June 23
170 km, 8 h 43 m

My dad stayed in Montreal to rest an extra day after the accident and we planned to meet in Quebec. We timed our entrance perfectly. Quebeckers celebrate St Jean Baptiste Day on June 23 in Quebec and June 24 in Montreal.

My dad rented a car a met me along the north shore with a Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich. He had a couple of hitchhikers with him- it seems that Quebec is the place to celebrate. We decided to meet at the Chateau Frontenac- a worthy rendezvous.

Descent into Mayhem. I got to the edge of the city and tried to navigate downtown. Not easy with all the hills. I ended up riding on a trail where no bikes are allowed to avoid a steep hill. As luck would have it, I had to climb the hill in the end anyway.

That led me to Rue St Louis. Darkness was falling as I headed east to Vieux Quebec and the cars and pedestrians got thicker. The buses were packed. I took all the hooting and hollering as a hero's welcome for the roving cyclist. What a way to celebrate Quebec's holiday.

At the centre of the madness it was like downtown Vancouver summer fireworks crowds times 3. Pedestrians taking over the streets, cars crawling along. An urban biker's delight.

We had some gelato, listened to some live music and then took off.

Bon St Jean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

viva vieux quebec!
nous avons restons sur la rue st ursule, dans la maison d'ursule. c'est beau ca.
just off of st louis.
au revoir!
don't forget the steak et frites.
viva!