Sunday, June 24, 2007

more about the BANG

The ambulance takes me to le Hopital du Sacre Coeur Montreal. They did two scans of my head, and two x-rays, looking for broken bones. Had to wait until 10:30 the next morning to hear the results of the neck scan - the radiologist needed to "read" the scan paperwork, and then dictate a message to the Emergency (Urgence, to contextualize) Doctor on duty. Several times nurses came by to take my 'vitals' and to inquire whether I was experiencing any pain. I told them the only pain I had was that which they were inflicting on me through a very, very uncomfortable neck collar. Not much sleep that night.


Then I received another scan of my abdomen as they were checking for any internal bleeding. Everything was good so they released me. Kenton took a rest day in Montreal, rode on Friday while I stayed another day. I caught up with him yesterday (Saturday) in Quebec City. We enjoyed the very festive atmosphere of St. Jean Baptiste Day (June 24) in Old Quebec City.



FAQ's about the accident.

1. The fellow who cut me off at a controlled intersection was charged with aggressive driving. He was observed honking his horn at the driver(s) ahead of him as he was wanting to cross four lanes of traffic. He had a stop sign. I was riding with the 'through traffic.'

2. One witness (who took my bicycle and bags, and later delivered them to the hospital) was a 30-year, retired vetran police officer. He was waiting at the stop sign on my right. The fellow whose car I hit had been waiting at the stop sign on my left.

3. According to this witness, I had my head down, didn't see him, didn't get my hands on the brakes. I remember seeing the colour of the car, and thinking 'I'm going to hit him.'

Rented a car for a week. I think it may take that long before I feel like riding again.

4. When I move quickly, particularly standing up from a horizontal position, I still feel some dizziness. (Quite common for minor head trauma, according to the nurse and some written info.)

5. According to the scans and x-rays, there is nothing wrong with me!!! So there! Smile. But for a few days I can beg off with the excuse of still recovering.

6. How did Ev take the news?
She told me she slept well, knowing she couldn't do a thing and that I was in the Lord's care. Our Lord gave her great peace.

Thanks for your interest and your prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are going to be able to ride again. I'm actually just getting caught up with the blog. Sorry about that. There are two showers here, one for Serenity, Bill & Tamara's little girl and it is raining outside. We are doubly blessed. Take care of that "old man" Kenton. Godspeed! Love Mel

Laura J said...

so glad you are okay. I pray for you both each night before I fall asleep. Have a great rest of the trip!!

Anonymous said...

A bunch of us Westsiders have been praying too. Glad to hear you're alright, John. Thanks for the update!
Paul

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery... we were scared there for a minute at the top of the blog, but relieved that everyone is ok. Have a merry time in the maritimes!
Kathleen and Chris (and Steve, Diego, Lola... Ziggy)

Sonya said...

Hey, good job on the comments, Dad! Good to hear from you, Uncle John. You're definitely having an eventful trip. So glad you're okay.