Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Stage 14 Mattawa , ON to Pembroke, ON

June 15
158 km, 7 h 47 m

Today was so hot the road was shimmering. Too hot to ride a bike.

I met a Dutch guy named Stefan riding to Vancouver from Halifax and Brad and Trina from Langley riding back west from St. John’s. Always a treat to meet other cyclists.

I made numerous stops today in the heat. Time slowed down and every kilometre seemed slow. I found some shade at the side of the road at Omer and Judy’s and they gave me some water and I was able to tighten up the headset on my bike.

I rode into Pembroke through a sea of bugs in the dark. I’ve never encountered so many insects. I thought they would end once we got out of the north.

I was too tired to worry much about traffic. I just wanted a rest. Trucks- move over.


Keep your distance, keep your distance
When I feel you close to me, what can I do but fall?

No comments: