Sunday, June 17, 2007

Stage 11 Smooth Rock Falls, ON to Kenogami Lake, ON

June 12
190 km, 9 h 11 m

Prevention is key to the cyclist’s survival. Drink before you’re thirsty, eat before you’re hungry. Apply sunscreen and make sure the Blistex is thick on the lips. Failure to comply results in severe penalty.

The appetite is growing by leaps and bounds. An hour after a big meal, and I’m ready for more. A healthy supply of granola bars, fruit and protein bars keeps hunger at bay.

It’s hot today. The heat saps energy in the afternoon and the pace must slow. Take a break. Have an ice cream. Have two. There’s no calorie counting on the bike. It’s more like inverse calorie counting. How many calories does this chocolate bar have? Only 250? I can’t ride long on that. Give me more. Feed me. Sweets, protein, fat, sauces, anything to keep the cranks spinning.

As the day goes on, the energy increases. The temperature starts to cool after 6pm and the pace quickens. So says the biker of the long shadow. Just make sure your room has air conditioning.


I crave inertia
Every move made
So I can stop.

No comments: