Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stage 5 Dryden, ON to Upsala, ON

June 5
217 km, 9 h 36 m

Team Wiens splits up- I soldiered on alone. I was hoping to get to English River, about 160 km from Dryden (home of Chris Pronger)- it's half way to Thunder Bay. Stopped in Ignace for a late lunch at the Burger Scoop. Ran into Gary- the guy who gave my dad a ride into Dryden yesterday (he drives an '86 Volvo 740 wagon- Swedish engineering at its finest). I found out that the motel in English River was closed. Time- 5pm. Distance to the next town- 105 km. Should I stay in Ignace for a 110 km day or play the hero and bust through the 200 km barrier? I chose the hero.

Off I went. Pause in English River at some temporary housing to see if they had a phone- no luck. But who, to my surprise should I find? Dave Faber of Faber Drive. His band was being featured on Canadian Idol- he stopped to find a television and watch the action. He used to play in a band called Toadl Jids- a group that ran in the same circles as Split Level. Small world.

Also ran into Christy, a cyclist from Yorkton, SK. She started in St John's, NF and was heading west. She advised me to take the number 6 in Nova Scotia (although she was hit by an old lady driving a car on that stretch of road and had to have surgery- ouch!). Also warned me off of the number 17 around Lake Superior due to massive hills. Cheers. This was confirmed later by my dad who talked to some truckers. The hills are huge- hills like white elephants.

So I got into Upsala at 10:30pm and had half a box of fig newtons for dinner. The Parkview Motel was a sight for sore eyes after nine and a half hours in the saddle.

I'm stronger than yesterday. Now it's nothing but a mile away....

1 comment:

Nelson Boschman said...

Half-box of fig newtons...a K-dub dinner of champions if I've ever heard of one.

Hey -- sorry I'm so late getting to your blogdom. I'll comment more on other posts...